Phillip’s Magical 8-Step Marketing Check-List For Small Business
Let’s cut right to the chase. The economy stinks, you need to grow your small business, and you’re not sure what to do about it. We’re all busy people and busy people like check-lists in order to get things done efficiently, so here’s your check-list to grow your small business.
- Change your mindset.
- Determine where you want to be.
- Inventory your resources.
- Develop a new plan that will get you to your destination (see #2).
- Act on your plan.
- Periodically review that plan and make adjustments.
- Rinse and repeat (#4-#6).
Here’s what you need to know about each point.
- Change your mindset – The first thing you need to do is change your mindset about what you should or shouldn’t have to do to grow your small business, and this sums it up nicely, I think: “If you keep on doing what you’ve always done, you’ll keep on getting what you’ve always got!” If you don’t change your thinking on this point, right now, then there’s no plan in the world that will help you grow. A word to the wise here is sufficient.
- Determine where you want to be – Always begin with the end in mind. Determine your goals and work backwards from there when developing your marketing plan in #4 below.
- Inventory your resources – Make a list of every resource you have at your disposal that can be utilized to help you get to your goal. Nothing is off-limits (as long as it’s legal, moral, and ethical and you don’t remove that little tag on the end of your mattress. Never a good idea.). The list should include money (marketing budget), employees, relatives, and you. Documents, trophies, and other materials that exist about your business, photos, videos, anything or anyone that can serve as content, or help you implement your plan, is fair game.
- Develop a new plan to get you to your destination (see #2) – Beginning with your end-goal in mind, work backwards and develop your marketing plan. You’ll need both an online plan and an offline component. Be realistic about the numbers involved and get it all down on paper. This part is going to take you a while.
- Act on your plan – The perfect plan will not help you unless you put it in motion. Take one step, then take another. Keep doing that until you reach your goal, or you fall down, go boom. Then see #6.
- Periodically review that plan and make adjustments – On a regular basis, look at the numbers and see how you’re doing. Determine any course corrections that need to be made to your plan (never, ever, alter the goal!) and implement them.
- Rinse and repeat – If it works, keep on doing it. If something is “on fire” (that’s good) then throw more gasoline on it. Find a process that generates the results you need to get to your goal and keep doing it.
There, you have it. The secret to success for your small business. The marketing road-map. The list. Oh, we left out one step that goes between #1 and #2 above. Step 1.5, should read, “Call Phillip before going any further!”
And on we go.
For well over 20 years, Life Tree Counseling has been a, “soft place to land” for so many people. We’d like to help you, too. You can call us right now at 972-234-6634, and we promise to return your call within 60 minutes. Or, visit our website to schedule a time that’s convenient for you, with one of our counselors.